Manu in holding pattern about Virtas Bologna offer

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said Wednesday he’s unwilling to commit to playing for Italian team Virtus Bologna during an extended NBA lockout – yet.

Ginobili practiced with the Argentinian college team Weber Estudiantes earlier on Wednesday. While there, he to Buenos Aires journalist German Beder in remarks that were .

Ginobili said he is intrigued by the offer, but still unwilling to commit with the team — whether or not Kobe Bryant joins them.

It would mark his return to Italy after playing in Bologna before joining the Spurs.

“I did not go to Italy in the last six years and it could be a nice thing to return there,” Ginobili said.  “But right now I need to rest. I cannot give them an answer today.”

Because of that lag, Ginobili said the Italian team should consider adding other players instead of him.

“If they want another player, they are free to look for a new one,” Ginobili said. “I am not ready to play.”

To prepare for an eventual season — either overseas or with the Spurs after the lockout — Ginobili is intently working with the Argentinian college team. 

“I am going to practice with Weber, I help them,” Ginobili said. “Nothing more so far.”

Those comments reiterated what Herb Rudoy, Ginobili’s agent, said on Tuesday when he “” reports that Ginobili would agree to a deal with Virtus Bologna if  Bryant did not sign with them.

It looks like Ginobili and Bryant are unwilling to commit to playing in Italy before Monday’s deadline imposed by the NBA owners’ bargaining committee. At that time, it is expected  to be known if the start of the 2011-12 NBA season will be postponed after the remainder of the league’s preseason games were shelved on Tuesday.

Leave a Reply